With its subtle sweetness, hint of spice, and spectacular color, this bread makes a delightful holiday treat.
Place half the cider and half the raisins in a small pot, bring to boil, and simmer on low for 10 minutes. Puree this mixture in a blender with sweet potatoes and Amazake. Add oil and remaining cider.
Blend well and set aside. In a large mixing bowl, combine flour, cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, lemon rind, walnuts, remaining raisins, sea salt and baking powder.
Add the liquid mixture to dry ingredients and mix until combined but not rubbery. Spoon the batter into 2 oiled bread pans and bake at 350 degrees for 50 minutes (or until a toothpick comes out clean). Let cool and slice. Serve plain or with cream cheese.
What you will need:
- 2 cups raisins
- 2 cups apple cider or apple juice
- 1 cup (or slightly more) Original Amazake
- 1-1/2 cup sweet potatoes or yams, mashed
- 1/2 cup corn oil
- 5 cups whole wheat pastry flour
- 1 tsp. cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp. nutmeg
- 1/8 tsp. dried ginger (optional)
- Grated rind of 1 lemon (optional)
- 1/2 to 1 cup walnuts, chopped
- 1/2 to 3/4 tsp. sea salt
- 2 Tbsp. baking powder